Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Might Be a Football Junkie

This is my first foray in blogging so please be kind...
I believe I have discovered one of my greatest regrets today. It is about a week and a half before Super Bowl 42...and I am experiencing a mix of emotions. I have been a football fan for a long time, yet this season seemed pretty special to me. My beloved Cleveland Browns managed to have one of their best seasons in years and simultaneously found a way to break my heart by missing the playoffs. I did, however, win my fantasy football league - for the first time ever. I have found myself glued to the NFL Network and profootballtalk.com. That's when the realization hit me...I wish I had played football.
Now I'm 31 years old. Old enough to accept that the professional baseball career that I once envisioned myself having was nothing more than a fantasy. I should also be old enough to realize that a craving an amateur football career is fodder for a midlife crisis. But for some reason I have a greater appreciation and understanding of the game now than I did in high school - a period in my life in which I chose to be the cross country manager rather than play middle linebacker or fullback for my high school team.
Not sure why this is such a regret - and why I am just realizing it now. I suppose I still could be eligible to play college football. Doubt that I could handle the two a days or windsprints. Maybe I could be a kicker. Nah...not flexible enough for that either. So I guess that leaves Fantasy Football...which means I have to wait until August for our next live draft and the preparation of 17 weeks of joy, agony, and regret. I can't wait for it to come. Sorry...I know this isn't the most auspicious start - but it's Just A Rough Draft.

No comments: